About the Organization
Founded in 1958, the mission at Hugh O’Brian Youth Leadership (HOBY) is to inspire and develop the global community of youth and volunteers to a life dedicated to leadership, service and innovation. For six decades, HOBY has inspired young people to make a difference and become catalysts for positive change in their home, school, workplace, and community. As America’s foremost youth leadership organization, HOBY has a long and impressive history of successfully motivating youth and volunteers to outstanding leadership.
Over 4,000 committed HOBY volunteers plan and execute the programs each year, serving in many capacities and roles. Due to the selfless efforts of volunteers and the contributions of generous donors, over 10,000 students participate in HOBY programs annually. Today, over 500,000 proud alumni make HOBY stronger than ever. HOBY alumni are leaders in their schools and communities, throughout the United States and the world, making a difference for others through service.
General Statement of Duties
With the support of the CEO and an engaged, mission-driven Board of Trustees, the Development Director, as part of the Advancement team, is responsible for creating new sustainable relationships, deepening existing relationships with private and public companies, foundations and institutions while fostering long-term sustainable connections and relationships with HOBY’s alumni and volunteers. By effectively advocating HOBY’s mission and fostering lasting relationships with our diverse portfolio of constituents, the Advancement team has primary responsibility for ensuring HOBY’s financial strength and sustainability. Reporting to the Chief Executive Officer, the Director of Development will lead fundraising activities for the organization, including individual and corporate donor giving, annual fundraising dinners and special events, corporate partnerships and foundation grants. Working with the CEO, Director of Marketing & Communications and HOBY’s professional staff, the Director of Development will be responsible for generating net revenues in excess of $1 million+ on an annual basis and growing department revenue expectations and results over a three-year period as the advancement team grows and plans gain traction.
- 5 years minimum of development experience, with exposure to a wide range of fundraising tactics and direct involvement in major gifts and special events;
- A Bachelor's degree or relevant work experience required;
- A proven track record of cultivating donors and securing gifts/sponsorships of $25,000 or more;
- Ability to partner with HOBY program staff and affiliates to develop and offer new opportunities for current and potential volunteers to support the organization with their time and talents in ways that support the organization’s overall goals;
- Ability to serve as relationship manager for alumni and volunteers, in close coordination with other HOBY staff working with these individuals;
- Experience maintaining budgets and managing expenses;
- Exceptional skills establishing and cultivating strong relationships;
- Proactive in deepening current supporter relationships and forging new ones;
- An entrepreneurial spirit;
- Demonstrated ability to think strategically about resource development opportunities and successfully execute a plan;
- Resourceful with a strong ability to creatively solve problems;
- Team oriented approach and collaborative mindset;
- Outstanding verbal and written communications skills;
- Experience building new programs or initiatives;
- Passion for the mission of HOBY.
How to apply
To be considered for this role, please submit a tailored cover letter and resume to email@example.com with Director of Development-- <your first and last name> in the subject line. The position is open until filled.
HOBY offers a comprehensive benefits package, including health & dental insurance, 403(b) plans with an organizational match, life insurance etc.
Minimum education required
HOBY Headquarters is located in Westlake Village CA 92316. The position is open to qualified candidates in the Southern California, Chicago, Dallas or New York area.