Provides direction for the program and implements program curriculum. Delivers a high quality child development program and mentors entry level teachers and aides. Provides a quality experience to children and parents that focuses on the YMCA values: Caring, Honesty, Respect, and Responsibility.
- Implements curriculum and program activities within the established guidelines.
- Nurtures children through purposeful programming dedicated to building achievement and belonging in youth and relationships among youth and within families.
- Supervises the children, classroom or site, and all activities including ADA accommodations where appropriate.
- Follows all policies and procedures, including those related to medical and disciplinary situations, child abuse prevention and emergencies.
- Continuously scans a variety of environments and surrounding areas for potential hazards and takes appropriate action to remove or avoid them and informs senior staff.
- Makes ongoing, systematic observations and evaluations of each child.
- Cultivates positive relationships and maintains effective communication with parents. Engages parents as volunteers and connects them to the YMCA.
- Uses positive reinforcement techniques to address children’s behavioral concerns.
- Mentors aides and entry level teachers.
- Maintains program site and equipment.
- Maintains required program records.
- Mentors a minimum of 1 staff.
- Attends staff meetings, trainings and completes all assigned on-line trainings.
- Attends and participates in family nights, as well as program activities.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
YMCA COMPETENCIES (Leader):
Mission Advancement: Accepts and demonstrates the Y’s values. Demonstrates a desire to serve others and fulfill community needs. Recruits volunteers and builds effective, supportive working relationships with them. Supports fund-raising.
Collaboration: Works effectively with people of different backgrounds, abilities, opinions, and perceptions. Builds rapport and relates well to others. Seeks first to understand the other person’s point of view, and remains calm in challenging situations. Listens for understanding and meaning; speaks and writes effectively. Takes initiative to assist in developing others.
Operational Effectiveness: Makes sound judgments, and transfers learning from one situation to another. Embraces new approaches and discovers ideas to create a better member experience. Establishes goals, clarifies tasks, plans work and actively participates in meetings. Strives to meet or exceed goals and deliver a high-value experience for members.
Personal Growth: Pursues self-development that enhances job performance. Demonstrates an openness to change, and seeks opportunities in the change process. Accurately assesses personal feelings, strengths and limitations and how they impact relationships. Has the functional and technical knowledge and skills required to perform well; uses best practices and demonstrates up-to-date knowledge and skills in technology.