- Minimum age of 16 years old.
- Ability to swim at YMCA Lifeguard prerequisite or equivalent ability to swim 500 yards.
- Lifeguard, CPR, AED & First Aid for the professional rescuer Certifications through the American Red Cross or other nationally recognized organization. Certification obtained through a nationally accredited organization consisting of a blended class (part online, part in person) will be accepted. Online only certifications do not meet this requirement. Certifications must be maintained and current at all times.
- Knowledge in the principles and practices of effective YMCA Lifeguarding.
- Ability to interact positively with a diverse group of people.
- All required online training must be completed before starting work, which will be compensated for accordingly.
- Criminal record clearance if over 18 years old.
- Ability to lift as required in normal rescue situations.
- Ability to see and hear to perform the essential functions of a lifeguard.
- Ability to see and rescue in an aquatic emergency no more than 20 seconds.
- Ability to sit, and walk whiling scanning entire pool.
- Remain alert with no lapses of consciousness.
EFFECT ON END RESULTS:
Successful performance of this job will result in safe and healthy pools and aquatic facilities, high quality YMCA aquatics programs that are mission-driven and consistent with YMCA Core Values of Caring, Honesty, Respect, and Responsibility, and excellent member and staff satisfaction.