Director of Government Affairs and Tourism
The Greater Conejo Valley Chamber of Commerce is a member-driven, professionally staffed nonprofit organization dedicated to supporting the region’s business community. The Chamber is one of the largest in California with approximately 800 members. The strength of this regional Chamber lies in its membership – working together to make the communities of Thousand Oaks, Westlake Village and Agoura Hills a better place to live and work.
To promote the economic success of our members and strengthen the business community in Conejo Valley through leadership, advocacy and programming.
The Director of Government Affairs & Tourism reports to the President/CEO. This is a department lead position whose responsibilities include, but are not limited to developing and executing the Chamber’s government affairs program and operating the Conejo Valley Tourism Improvement District.
The minimum requirements for this position are a basic understanding of local government or public affairs. Candidates must be comfortable speaking in formal settings such as board meetings or city council meetings. The ideal candidate will have advanced knowledge of local government or public affairs, experience with local and state public policy and knowledge of the tourism industry.
- Develop and Execute the Chamber of Commerce’s Government Affairs Program.
- Develop and update the Chamber’s Legislative Agenda (link).
- Provide written or verbal public comments to local government bodies expressing the opinion of the Chamber of Commerce.
- Report monthly to each of the 3 cities in the Chamber’s service area.
- Serve as the staff lead for the Legislative Roundtable and Education Committee (link).
- Serve as the Director of Operations of the Conejo Valley Tourism Improvement District (CVTID), also known as Visit Conejo Valley (link).
- Prepare for and staff the CVTID board meetings.
- Develop and manage the CVTID budget.
- Supervise contractors hired by CVTID to provide services such as marketing and public relations.
- Serve as the staff lead for the Leadership Conejo Program (link).
- Recruit participants and sponsors for the program.
- Manage the details for each of 9 monthly sessions, including organizing speakers and tours.
- Other various duties related to Government Affairs.
- Process online certificates of origin for area exporters.
- Special projects associated with the contracts with partner cities.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office 365, PowerPoint, Outlook and other software as needed.
- Advanced proficiency in technology is a plus.
- Experience in local, state or federal government particularly for an officeholder or agency in the Conejo Valley.
- 5+ years of experience is preferred.
- Must have excellent written and verbal skills and communicate professionally at all times.
- Ability to multi-task, be flexible and meet deadlines.
- Must be highly organized, creative, detail-oriented and show initiative.
- Able to lift up to 30 pounds, bend or stoop, be able to sit or stand in place for long periods such as at mixers or other special events.
- Willing to work flexible hours as needed for meetings such for City Council meetings in the evening.